Sunday 3 July 2011

Green Lantern

I want to make a point. I have ranted, twice now, about the third transformers film and how much it doesn't appeal to me.

I realise that you you might think I'm a prone to knee jerk reactions over very little evidence, or that I'm just a mean jerk that hates things for very little reason, so I think I better share my experience with Green Lantern.

Oh - Kay I did not have very high expectations for this film going into it. The umpteen million different trailers, the really bad CGI suit and the plot re-write rumours I knew going into it it was going to be a mess. It was, but in the film's defence it was a difficult birth. There was a lot of difficult things going on in the background and no one really knew where they were going.

The acting was ropy, the editing just bad, the plot holes so immense they rivalled the Matrix trilogy and the CGI was never fixed. Everything you hear about this thing is true it is that bad. But still, and this is a big but, you can just sit back and enjoy. It's not offensive, it doesn't out right insult the fans of the source materiel and it feels like a film.

If it had come out, maybe, ten years ago, even with the effects of the time, it would have been alright. That is because it's main problem was its formulaic structure. Every character, plot twist and development has been done before, ad infinitum. It comes across as if the writers just watched Iron man, the original Superman and then Van Helsing. Threw the scripts into a blender and then use a Find / Replace function to get the cast names right. There was nothing new or original here.

And again, as predictable as that is the film was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. I had fun in the theater, even all alone I sat back and watched. Coming out I didn't feel robbed or disappointed that I spent money on it. I liked it.

And this is my problem with not wanting to watch Transformers 3. My expectations are so low and even then I'm afraid I can be disappointed. That takes an epic amount of effort. If a critically panned film, accused of destroying the Comic Book movie itself, can entertain someone like me how bad must Transformers be?

In summation Green Lantern, if you know you're going to a generic comic book superhero movie and with everything you expect from that, is a fun way to kill a lazy afternoon. As long as you don't take it too seriously, and know a little about the comic.

1 comment:

  1. Dang, and there was I about to go and see it! I'll check it out on the free movies links and save myself the price of a cinema ticket.

    ReplyDelete