Wednesday 29 June 2011

Transformers 3 again

I am painfully aware that my last ramble made about as much sense as replying "monkey's are funny" to the question of "how meny fingers am I holding up?"

It had been a long day and I wasn't thinking straight, or beyond "Hate Hate, Kill Kill now please!"

Allow me to expand:-

I think the casting of Rosie whatever in Transformers 3 Dark of The Moon is the thing I am most dreading. I was not, in any way, inspired with confidence when I first heard she got the part because she was a Victoria secret model and turned up for the audition in her underwear. After seeing the promotional images and the couple of clips that have found their way onto the internet I just want this film to go away.
I didn't think it was going to be possible for Bay to find a worse actress than Fox, but he did.
I'd like to believe that I was a sensible young man, with the right priorities. If not necessarily in the right order, but I find both this blow up doll and the vacuous piece of wood that was Fox two of the most repulsive creatures on the planet.
Having to watch these two attempt to act is on par with having my wisdom teeth removed through my nose. While Fox wasn't given much to do but stand there and scream "SAM!" really loud and from the looks of things that's this girls job description too that's not a good thing.
It saves us from the painful acting, but sets the women empowerment movement back about two hundred years. For craps sake, hitting them with a frying pan would be an improvement.
Hell there was an episode of the original Transformers with Carly on Cybertron. She had her car disintegrated beneath her and then busted her ankle trying to run away. That version was more empowered. Hell, while Spike (read Sam) had to carry her a lot of the way it was her computer kills that was able to hack their way through the door.

When a cartoon from the 1980's, especially one that had episodes like The Girl who Loved Powerglide, treated women better than these films seem to, oh boy.

Now let me be clear I'm still about 12 hours away from seeing this turkey, and I'm actually trying to talk myself into it. Does that explain how I feel? I'm one of the biggest Transformers fans you're likely to meet and I'm so disillusioned by the trailers and spoilers I'm about ready to wash my hands of the whole thing. Not even the positive early reviews can convince me 100 percent.

I don't want to go into a film doubting if I'm going to like it. I'll take a risk on a DVD, when I can hit the pause button and take a break but the commitment behind a film in the cinema is a bit too much. Where I live its a fifteen min journey to the nearest theater, by bus. Then there's the time invested watching it (two and a half hours), getting back. It's a whole afternoon, an afternoon where I can't write, read or do anything else but sit in a darkened room watching an oversized TV.

To continue my sob story, there's no one to watch it with. If I'm going to do this I want to be sure I'm going to enjoy it. I don't want to come out of the cinema grumbling. The last film made me delusional to the point where I imagined there was something positive. I accepted that, just so I would go to see a film again.

So what positives are there. Leonard Nimoy. He's back in Transformers, this is a good thing. From what I've heard though... it's a cameo. Ugh. The backing cast are excellent, and are under used. How do I know they are under used? BECAUSE THIS IS A FILM ABOUT ROBOTS FIGHTING. They're not the stars of this film, they are cameos. Thats it. If they're not cameos then this isn't Transformers is it. Much like the last two the focus is on the humans, not the bloody robots we want to see. We've paid to see robots fighting, not humans.

I can just tell all the time is going to be spent on this guest cast, rather than establishing the Transformers. This is the third film, and new Transformers on both sides with no establishing facts.

I can take any of the positive points and show them to be crap, and I haven't even seen the film. This is bad. Extraordinarily bad people.

Forget it. I will catch this on DVD, but unless I hear a glowing review I can respect forget it.

1 comment:

  1. Should probably aim less contempt at Fox and Huntington-Whitely and more on Michael Bay.

    ReplyDelete