Friday 5 June 2009

A great loss




David Eddings, perhaps one of the best fantasy writers of all time, sadly died on Tuesday and I just have to post something about this great man. Eddings was one of the very few writers I would have liked to meet in person. Even though its over used the word genius fitted him well and he seemed to keep his head. Eddings crafted his work with care and attention that out shines all his contemporaries. He knew exactly where the line was, how not to cross it and still make the story believable. Even though his work was strong fantasy, with Gods and Demons around every possible corner, his craft in characters and plot kept the reader grounded.

It's hard to describe exactly how big an impact this author had on popular fiction let alone me. There was a time when no matter where I went I could just pull out one of his books and jump into it. Their battered and dog eared pages lived in my coat's pockets for years and I still dive in once in a while, amazed at how he pulled plot threads together and kept it simple all the way though. 

There isn't anything more to say, well actually there's a lot but as with all great people you can never cover it all. Goodbye David Eddings, and commiseration's to his family 

No comments:

Post a Comment