Wednesday 6 January 2010

Why?

This is a response to the strange ramble over here

As I read it I'm left alternating between asking "what the hell?' and "what is love". Now I'm not some sappy romantic, I have a cold, hard and pessimistic out look on life, but I do see love as a crowning point.

A good few years ago I knew a girl. I worked with her at a local Youth Council, it was one of those ideas the government comes up with to get people interested in local politics. After working with and knowing her for two years (teasing her about her love of Harry Potter) I realised that I liked her. A lot. She was beautiful, smart, not afraid to argue you down when she thought you were wrong and clearly crazy in her own way. Even on the rare times I hear from her these days she hasn't changed, wearing her heart on her sleeve and not caring one jot what people think.
She never found the status quo, at she wasn't with the popular "in crowd" and just did and said what she wanted. That takes a certain bravery I admire. I truly did, and in many ways still do, love her.

Of course I'm about as repugnant as a elephants anus and when I tried to tell her how I felt I got the old one two sucker punch to my emotional gut. First she already knew, I wasn't that subtle after all and secondly one of my Judas inspired friends also figured it out and told her. So there I was, hoping I'd at least have surprise on my side and it turns out she had been looking for a chance to let me down easy.

Needless to say that was that as far as she was concerned. I tried to accept it and move on. As you can guess that failed. The worst thing is what happened after. She was uncomfortable to be around me, often just dashing off. Oh she was polite and friendly but there was a wall between us that's just gotten bigger.

Since then she's had two long term boyfriends the first broke her heart to the point where I could have killed him (no really I practically sharpened knives for the act) and the one she has now. The one she has now I wouldn't be surprised if I find an engagement notice in the paper tomorrow. At least that's the last I've heard of her, we've drifted apart and I still cry thinking about her.

As for love I don't know who or what I'd be if I didn't love at least something or someone. I believe love is a corner stone in a persons life. It holds your life together, but at the same time you need more than just one corner. You need to be loved and feel it. You need to know happiness. You need to know despair and loneliness. You need all of these look into the future and build your life higher.

I can feel glad that I've loved someone, in that shining moment I could split mountains with a glance. The stars were mine to marvel at and they have never been so bright. Life was so much sweeter for a fleeting second and that alone was worth the heartbreak.

That's love my friends, i hope everyone finds it sooner or later.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it took me a couple days to reply! :D

    ~Matt Booker

    ReplyDelete