Monday 24 August 2009

The Imaginartium of Doctor Parnassus

When I was very much younger I had a VHS video tape. It was of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 on the same tape. I'm telling you this because on that tape there was a trailer for a film called The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. To my shame I haven't been able to find a copy of this film but I love the trailer, it's so lovably insane. When you realise it was co-written and directed by Terry Gilliam, the Python responsible for Jabberwocky, Time Bandits, Brazil, Twelve Monkeys and directing the Python film Quest for the Holy Grail you know it's insane

This guy is the most insane director in Hollywood and most of the time is films are so crazy that people don't know what to make of him. Honestly, he makes Tim Burton look stable.

This is leading up to my thoughts of a new film from the Pythons lead animator:- The Imaginartium of Doctor Parnassus. Here's the trailer

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5702544/14942419

Yes this is the last film Heath Ledger worked on before his death, he had only filmed about half of it but they found a way around this. Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrel stepped in and took over the role in different parts. In other words the shear acting power of this move could eclipse the sun!

Now I don't often go to the cinema. It's a lot of effort and money for something I'm going see on DVD a few months later anyway. I'll still, on occasion, go out of my way to see a few films. Transformers 2 was one and so was Star Trek. This is only the third film I KNOW I have to see. Hell, everyone has to see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment